Thursday, June 11, 2009

Aspirations: To Be a Rockstar

I have a crush. On a woman. But so does pretty much everyone I know--male and female.

I can't quite put my finger on whatever quality makes certain women so alluring, but whatever it is, Jenny Lewis has it in spades. Her show at the House of Blues in Boston last night was punctuated with screams of "We love you, Jenny!" and "You're crazy beautiful, Jenny!" and "You're adorable!" between each and every song.

To be honest, I'm not her #1 fan. Her solo stuff is good, but not quite my speed. And Rilo Kiley, while a fun band, isn't making any of my top ten lists. But I went to the show and found myself just as captivated by her as the rest of the audience. More than the rollicking folk and quiet alt-country ballads she and her band played, I found myself hypnotized by the way she effortlessly kept the packed venue rapt with attention, just spinning around the stage in jeans and a t-shirt, shaking that crazy red mane of hers.

You can't help but be fascinated by anyone who can go from this:


to this:


I just want to BE her.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about Jenny Lewis; she's not my favorite musician but there IS something about her that is captivating.

    ReplyDelete