Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Feast of St. Joseph



Rhode Island has one of the largest concentrations of Italian Americans in the country, so it's not surprising that while I was growing up, wearing red and eating zeppole on March 19 was just as prevalent as wearing green and eating corned beef and cabbage (gross) on St. Patrick's Day (March 17).

St. Joseph's Day always makes me a little homesick. Now that I live in Boston (just about an hour north of my home state), I find that most people have no idea what I'm talking about when I wish them a Happy St. Joseph's Day. Yes, the Irish population in Boston far outnumbers the Italians, but it seems like some kind of ethnic snub when the entire city is awash in green for St. Patrick and nary a zeppola in sight for St. Joseph. Come on people, he was Jesus' DAD (sort of). Show a little love. Wear some red, eat some Italian food, and go find me a zeppola.

1 comment:

  1. Aww... You should go to Mike's and at least get a cannoli tonight! :)

    ReplyDelete